Thursday, February 14, 2013

Snails






I had a dream that you said nice things.
I had a dream that this was exactly what it isn't.

And when I opened my eyes to see the vast distance between where I was and where you were, I collected my head from its lofty seat.  I placed it on my shoulders with needle and thread and continued to tread lightly, silently.  Because although stars rest upon thrones, they fall to the earth on a collision course.

I pretend that all you write is only to me.
I pretend that thoughts of me set camp in your mind.

If we're honest, it once was true.  They way you looked at me and the way I looked away drove you mad.  At least, I think that's what you said.  Those words could have belonged to someone else the way that the bird doesn't belong to the sky, but rather the tree.

So now I imagine we're gasping.
Now I imagine we're screaming.

Every bit of you is not every bit of my ideal.  But there are parts that I like, parts I like a whole lot.  So when those parts that are refused by me surface and voice and make themselves known, I hideout for a few days, writing things to you.  I write that I'm finished and that we need closure and that it isn't actually over.  I'm the not-well-oiled machine.

And I'm looking for spare parts.

8 comments:

  1. This is brilliant and beautiful and you're amazing

    ReplyDelete

  2. "I pretend that all you write is only to me."
    This is me while I read all of the "I'm thinking about you" posts...

    great post. Loved every word.

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I pretend that all you write is only to me.
    I pretend that thoughts of me set camp in your mind."

    Favorite line

    ReplyDelete
  4. "And when I opened my eyes to see the vast distance between where I was and where you were, I collected my head from its lofty seat. I placed it on my shoulders with needle and thread and continued to tread lightly, silently. Because although stars rest upon thrones, they fall to the earth on a collision course."

    I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I write that I'm finished and that we need closure and that it isn't actually over

    Stolen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the not-well-oiled machine.
    And I'm looking for spare parts.

    Double Stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing, but... how the heck did I get here??

    ReplyDelete