Monday, May 13, 2013

You Take Your Heart and Walk Away

I remember the way you looked at me when you said that I
broke your heart
and
left you
there to
die.
I remember that we weren't friends for a long time after.
I remember being angry that you would not let me have this,
this one story,
when you'd already had so many.
I remember that it wasn't worth it.

I remember you urging me forward;
you didn't want to pick sides,
but you said you would be on
mine.
I remember thinking that I didn't want there to be any opposition,
I didn't want you to have to choose.
(You shouldn't have had to choose.)

I remember trying spare you.
I remember failing because of that
damn smile
and those
damn words
that were
effortless.

I remember telling you what I'd heard.
I remember what a
horrible liar
you were when you said they were all
wrong.
I remember you
laughing.

I remember the year that I wasn't happy.  
I remember you digging into my 
insecurities 
and not being 
bothered to 
cover them up 
again.  

I remember when we became 
friends 
again.  
I remember you took me out, 
but just to remind me that 
he wasn't mine anymore 
and that he 
never 
was in the first place.  
I remember believing that.

I remember being
sick
of everything.
I remember how
desperate
I was to get everything back.
But I remember you telling me that
we could
never
be the same.

1 comment:

  1. "You didn't want to pick sides, but you said you would be on mine" Stolen.

    This whole post was beautiful. And real.

    ReplyDelete