Saturday, February 1, 2014

everyone inside the mechanism

This is hard for me.

Humanity should be a simple thing.

The fingers
toes
hands
feet
arms
legs.

This should be easy.

It's the blood pumping
and veins
nerves
brain.

This should be fine.

But I can't leave humanity like this.
I can't describe this within the bounds of flesh and bone.
Replace these with metal and gears,
and you've got a machine.

It moves and works and it could be human.
If you leave it at that.
It's more and I'm not doing it justice.

And I don't want to sound like everybody else,
but I think they've covered it.

Humanity is not the brain,
it's the function.

It's the thinking
thinking
always thinking.

Not like a machine with an off switch.

Humanity is not the heart,
it's the warmth.

The pumping,
the beat
the beat.

Not like the chill of machines.

Humanity is the craving
the imagination
the creation.

It's also the bad things.

The anxiety
the depression
the loss.

I think,
humanity's been named.

I think,
there's not much more to offer.

I think,
I don't like this.

I think I'm human.

- S.H.

3 comments:

  1. "I don't want to sound like everybody else,
    but I think they've covered it."

    But you still added more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're much better at proving your humanity than I am at proving mine.

    ReplyDelete